Read the article here.
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Long hours and high stress is as much a part of our lives nowadays as are air and water. My latest article talks about some simple things that can help you de-stress after a long day at work (or during it). Small steps, some of which go a long way.
Read the article here.
Read the article here.
Sunday, May 12, 2013
So the bad news first or the good? The bad news is that I am a little broke right now. High cost investments made recently are making me count pennies. The good news though, is that the beauty of Delhi is that you can still have a ball even if all you have left are pennies!
My latest article on Rediff shares 5 such eateries in Delhi where you can fill your stomachs with finger licking delicacies and walk out with a bill of less than Rs.300 for 2. Don't believe it? Read the article here.
|MI Meat Suppliers in Meherchand Market. My latest discovery|
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
I think one of the most attractive qualities in a man is a witty sense of humor. Tony Stark wins right there. And ofcourse it does help that he is a billionaire, looks pretty damn good for 48 and is super intelligent too. Iron Man is one of the most well characterized superheros and I just can not get enough of him (of watching him, I mean :)).
Like all superhero movies, there is a superhero, he has a girlfriend and there is a villain. Everything is perfect in la la land until some catastrophe occurs and superhero takes it upon himself to stop the villain. So, that's the gist of the story for you. But you don't go to watch superhero films for unique story lines do you?
Robert Downey Jr. is a riot. His witty comebacks have the audience in splits and his subtle humor is most appealing. What makes him more humane in the film is his realization that Pepper (Paltrow who is ofcourse super hot) is the best thing that happened to him. But thankfully he doesn't turn into a mushy slob. He fights with panache, wears his ego on his shoulder and charms everyone around including his robo suits!
It is especially refreshing to see references of the last movie (Avengers) in this one. Usually when it is a series like Batman, they don't bother making it feel like a part of a larger string.
The film runs for a good 2.5 hours but it doesn't stretch in any bit. It is fun, action packed and a complete entertainer.
Watch the film. A late night show, if your work schedule doesn't allow otherwise. It is full paisa wasool.
Rating: 4 on 5
Paisa Wasool Moment: When he calls for his suit to save Pepper...softie that he is!!
Note: Iron Man 3 has an extraordinary number of hidden messages and nuggets. If you're curious, read them here.
Friday, May 3, 2013
Delhi shakes for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. Earthquakes are not new to the city. Lying on seismic zone 4, every once in a while, we experience tremors of a quake, usually from the Himalayan belt. But when the earth literally shifts beneath our feet, rationality goes out of the window and we panic. Well, half knowledge is dangerous knowledge, as I realised the hard way. Here are some tips on what to do when an earthquake strikes.
PS – I am not an authority on this. My suggestions below are solely based on secondary research and information collected having attended Earthquake disaster management seminars. Please do read up on this subject from any other source you can find as well.
An earthquake is measured on a Richter scale. Anything upwards of 5 can be potentially dangerous depending on how close to the epicentre you are and the duration of the quake. An earthquake typically will peak for a few seconds and the highest reading will determine its Richter score. If you live in a high rise, chances are that you will feel the quake more than your counterparts on the ground floor. The duration also may differ as the building swings a little.
If Shaking Begins
- Do NOT race for the stairs, especially if they are internal stairs. The staircase is one of the weakest parts of the apartment building, have a different momentum of frequency and most likely to collapse first.
- If you are on the ground floor and have a clear open space near your house, run out and stand clear.
- If you live quite some floors above in your building, try to seek shelter near a bulky object such as a sofa. Curl up and sit on the floor and make sure you are not near a window, mirror, fireplace, gas stove or have heavy paintings or wall hangings above you. Avoid using the lift or escalators.
- Drop down; take cover under a desk or table and hold on. There are two things that can harm you in an earthquake: one is falling and flying objects and the second is structural collapse. For the first, it is recommended you take cover so that any flying object like glass or bookcases can’t hurt you. But in case structural damage is occurring (collapsing buildings), it is suggested that you duck and sit next to a bulky object like a sofa or a bed. This is a place where a ‘void’ is likely to be created and you will avoid being crushed.
- Stay indoors until the shaking stops and you're sure it's safe to exit.
- Stay away from bookcases or furniture that can fall on you.
- Stay away from windows. In a high-rise building, expect the fire alarms and sprinklers to go off during a quake (of if you’re in India, you don’t need to worry about this. They probably won’t even go off if there IS a fire :P).
- If you are outdoors, find a clear spot away from buildings, trees, and power lines. Drop to the ground.
- If you are in a car, slow down and drive to a clear place. Stay in the car until the shaking stops. Do not wait near bridges, tall trees etc.
- Don't use candles or any open flames. Earthquakes sometimes break natural gas lines which easily catch fire.
- Expect aftershocks
Mother Nature Network (http://www.mnn.com/family/protection-safety/stories/earthquake-safety-tips#)
American Rescue Team International (ARTI) (http://www.davidsemporium.co.uk/earthquake.html)
Kabhi kisiko mukkamal jahan nahi milta Kahin zameen nahi to kahin aasman nahi milta Bujha Saka Hain Bhala Kaun Waqt Ke Shole Ye Aisi Aag...
People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered Forgive them anyway If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior ...
. Let me tell you a very interesting story. When I was in Ahmedabad, my parents went and got a glass bowl with 3 gold fish in them. We dec...